Monday, September 19, 2005

Awesome Scallop (Gumbo?)


Speakin of soups, I made this the other night & think it has the potential to be repeated. I'm calling it a gumbo because it has that spicy, brothy, lick-the-bowl kinda taste.

It's another quick one. It was thrown together in less than 20min. That's the cool thing about fish. short cookin time. Also, no really firm veggies to soften up.

This recipe is for two. I am also a recovering cooktoomuchaholic.
First the base. Always start soup with a pan full of love. This time I used:

-1 big handful of Basil, roughly chopped
-1 small yellow onion, diced
-4 cloves of garlic, minced
-1 small green bell pepper, diced
-Dash of dried oregano
-S&P of course

(This is what I had on hand. You could use some zukes or other mild squash too I think)

Saute' in 1/2 EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) 1/2 Butter. I like mixing the two for flavor & cookability factor. Yes, I just made that phrase up -Copyright Jay Madison 2005

So I let em get soft & yummy -only a couple minutes.
Dumped in a bag of frozen Bay Scallops (the little kind) about 12oz I think.

Now what? Soups need a starch of some kind. Always. Rice, Potatos, Noodles, Beans, whatever. What about Cream of Broccoli & French Onion? Shame on you. We're talking about a meal here. Yeah you can do that, but if your gonna call that my dinner, you'd better have a lot of bread on the side. Oh! Look at that, more starch! Funny how that works.

So where was I? So Michele is on this low carb diet & rice would be really good in this. I opt for pinto beans. Better for a person on a low carb diet? Who knows but it sounds good.

-1 can of Pinto Beans
-1 cup of White wine

Stirr it around. Yes, two 'r's cuz it has to go around more than once. Spinkle the top with grated parmesian & a good dash of cayenne pepper & cover. Let it simmer for like three minutes. Seriously, that's it. Don't overcook scallops or you'll be eating superballs for dinner.

The whole thing took about 20 minutes & was so good that you'd better double this recipe if your cooking for two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.